Shop Indie Bookstores

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Some Fun: Stories and a Novella

OK. I'm not a big fan of short fiction, so I don't know who Antonya Nelson is. Apparently, though, she's quite good, as she's won a bunch of awards. How do I know this? BECAUSE MENTION OF THEM IS PLASTERED ALL OVER HER NEW BOOK.

I did a little checking (but not much, because life is short): Guggenheim Fellowship? Check. REA Award? Yep.

And this collection isn't by Antonya Nelson. It's by "Winner Antonya Nelson."

Someone please leave a comment and tell me this is a joke. Or that I'm missing some Po-Mo meta blah-blah-blah. Please tell me this.


Eileen said...

There is such a thing as trying too hard. Then again maybe I'm bitter as a non award winner.

Joseph said...

Yeah, it's just bizarre, isn't it? Oh, to be a fly on the wall when this was being reviewed...

notgod said...

that person should leave books and do ads. duping for the sake of itself is better rewarded in that world.

Kyle Minor said...

I doubt Ms. Nelson designed the cover herself. I bet she, like most writers, would be a little uncomfortable with this sort of package (and secretly pleased, too, like you would, and like I would if all that adulation had come our way.)

But I have to take issue with this particular case of judging a book by its cover. This is a FAN-TASTIC book. I just finished reading it, and, brother, let me tell you: she deserves it and then some.

RC Revere said...

Yeah, the cover is bold. It's a dumb move, if the content doesn't match up, but in this case, IT DOES. Nelson writes with authority and a sharp sensibility.

The stories are remarkable and Nelson does what her characters fail to do--transcend. Read it and you'll wonder why she isn't better known.