Shop Indie Bookstores

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Christine Falls

"Benjamin Black is really Booker Prize winner John Banville, and Christine Falls is his inaugural volume in a crime series starring Quirke, a lonely, hard-drinking Dublin pathologist."

I have gone back and forth on this one for the last week. I saw it at the airport, I think, but for the life of me can't remember who designed it and if it had spot-varnish on the title (I think it did).

I don't read crime books, and I'm sorry to say I don't look at them all too much either. So I'll let you tell me: is this a particularly good crime title? Or just a few steps ahead of what I'm assuming is a pretty cookie-cutter approach to the genre?



Buy this book from Amazon.com

4 comments:

Katie Alender said...

I don't know the genre, but I dig the colors.

jasfitz // the daily frolic said...

I don't know. Typically, the things I've seen in the genre have been hokey or just injcredibly obvious.

This feels like a nice treatment. I don't love it, but it does speak to me.

Mel said...

I actually think this is an excellent treatment of the genre. There's no blood or gurney for goodness sakes! The subtlety is excellent, although it seems to hearken to the 'Six Feet Under' vibe (I'm pretty sure I mean that as a compliment.)

Anonymous said...

It is designed by Lisa Fyfe.