Shop Indie Bookstores

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System

Design by Carol Hayes

Written by a former policy analyst for Food First, Stuffed and Starved "show(s) how a few powerful distributors control the health of the entire world." What could have been a serviceable, two-dimensional, poster-themed cover becomes much more when that poster is hung in a shop window. For a serious analysis of a controversial topic, this is just guerrilla-ish enough. Buy this book from Amazon.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love these type of covers and design process and approach.

Make a design, put it in a window, shoot it, and you have yourself a cover.

Great work.

GH said...

One problem I have - the quote isn't reading.

alan said...

re: the quote

it's probably more discernible in hand.

anywho, nice cover!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

The quote reads quite well when you see the book in person, although it's stylistically jarring and distracts from the simple photographic cover. (It would, however, have been much more distracting if it hadn't been fit to it's current perspective against the window.)

The US cover is my favorite, but the other are worth a gander... http://www.stuffedandstarved.org/drupal/node/5

Katie Alender said...

I think I'd have to see this in person to see whether it really works for me. As it is, I can't convince myself it's a book cover! I only see the sign in context of a photograph.

Interesting (but clearly my feeble mind can't process).

Anonymous said...

Designer is Carol Hayes