Shop Indie Bookstores

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Three Books Having Something to Do with Superheroes, None of Whom is Batman

Designer info to come

So this started last week when reader Katie wrote in to tell me about Who Can Save Us Now?, the premise of which strikes me as pretty brilliant: invite 22 contemporary writers to invent new superheroes and spin a quick tale about them in a short story. Today's SF Chronicle reviewed Superpowers, and then I saw Soon I Will Be Invincible in a shop window while taking a walk after having been laid up for more than a day w/ a bad back, my powers to drink beer and stand up for 6 hours in Chuck Taylors listening to Mission of Burma, Sebadoh and Public Enemy proving decidedly *less* than super.

Can we agree that the designer of the UK edition of Soon I Will Be Invincible has superDUPER powers?:


The US edition (design by Chip Kidd; check out the entire cover here):


UK edition:


Putting me in the mind of Superfriends and The Wonder Twins, the US edition (design by Maria Elias):


And thanks, Katie, for this:

8 comments:

Jeff Budd said...

I prefer the U.K. covers. The U.S. version of 'Superpowers' is too i-stock-photo-eee.

On a side note, I really enjoy this blog.

GH said...

You're correct; the US version of Soon I Will Be Invincible is by Chip Kidd. I think the UK one is better actually.

Anonymous said...

I love the US edition. You really do need to see the jacketed version with and without the jacket. But, some love it, some don't.

FaceOut Books said...

I did a little write up on this book, the jacket version.

http://designrelated.com/inspiration/view/JRGabbert/entry/1895

Ian Koviak said...

Have to say I like chips cover the best. Strong and to the point. All the others have their merits and are playful and explore some fun vernaculars, but fall short in terms of a singular, strong idea.

Tal said...

I love Chip's US version and the UK version. The UK version is definitely more unexpected and thus induces delight. But Chip's holds lovely surprises as well - the back cover, flaps, and inside are all filled with photos of superhero garb. On the UK version, I wonder why the blurb type on the bottom left is white with drop shadow. Would it have worked with just black type, or would it take away from the focus on the comic book?

Anonymous said...

I feel that the UK version is more expected. It's comic books with typical comic characters... while the US version has more stocky cliche imagery, which is what the book is about... a fun spin on the cliche's of super heroes... you would need to read the book to know how appropriate it really is.

Anonymous said...

情趣用品, 情趣用品, A片, 免費A片, 情色文學, 免費A片, A片, 免費視訊聊天, 威而柔, 情惑用品性易購, 色情遊戲, 情惑用品性易購, 辣妹視訊, A片, 徵信社, 情趣用品, 情趣, 情趣用品, 台北情趣用品, 情人節禮物, 情趣用品, 情趣用品, 情趣, 情境坊歡愉用品, 情人視訊網, 成人用品, 情趣用品, 按摩棒, 情人節禮物, 花美姬情趣用品, 情趣用品, 情趣用品, SEO服, 情趣用品, 性感睡衣, 免費視訊聊天, 視訊交友網, 美姬圖影, 情境坊歡愉用品, 花美姬情趣用品, 成人圖片, 臺灣情色網, 嘟嘟情人色網, 色情網站, 情境坊歡愉用品, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信, 外遇, 徵信, 徵信, 抓姦, 徵信, 外遇, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社,,, 整型, 視訊聊天, 視訊交友, AV女優, 色情, A片, A片, 情趣用品, 情色, A片, 色情影片, 情趣用品, A片, AV女優, 視訊聊天室, 聊天, 情趣用品, 情惑用品性易購, 情侶歡愉用品, A片, 情趣, 情惑用品性易購, 辣妹視訊, 自慰套, 情侶歡愉用品, 寄情築園小遊戲, aio交友愛情館, 美女視訊, 色情A片, 情趣用品, 徵信社, 情趣用品, A片, 美女視訊, 色情A片, AV女優, A片, 辣妹視訊, 自慰套, 情侶歡愉用品,