Shop Indie Bookstores

Monday, November 24, 2008

Microserfs and Girlfriend in a Coma, new Harper Perennial editions

Design and illustration by Milan Bozic

I saw these recently and asked Milan to give me a few words of explanation:

About the design for Microserfs: "As Amazon says, 'Microserfs is not about Microsoft--it's about programmers who are searching for lives.' I've always imagined any Silicon Valley complex full of faceless, like-minded programming drones, and I assume that's what most other people imagine as well. So, it's not a far stretch of the imagination to go with pixilated peeps."


And w/r/t Girlfriend In a Coma: "We chose to go with pixilated on Girlfriend in a Coma so that both of the covers kind of match. Plus, it's a nice contrast between a busy cover, and one that's very understated."


What does Milan like best about these? "What I'm most proud of is getting away with no title on the cover — oh, and that pixilated penis."

What, you missed it? Click on the images for more detail.

9 comments:

Maija Haavisto said...

Two of my all-time favorite books... can't say I really like the new covers. They may or may not be nice design-wise, but they just don't look appealing or interesting to me, too gimmicky.

Anonymous said...

These are awsome except for the terribly designed PS logos. Nothing wrong with the PS but whoever designed it is a moron.

Ian Brian Shimkoviak said...

Ha! That's great...

Raina said...

Douglas Coupland is one of my favorite authors, and Girlfriend in a Coma may be my favorite book. These covers don't work for me, though. I get the idea of the Microserfs cover, but I don't get that they're not fully clothed - I think suits, or at least computer programmer casual wear would get the idea across more effectively. And Girlfriend in a Coma makes no sense at all as a pixelated image. And for me, that book is about all the stuff that happens around the girlfriend, so the isolated image goes contrary to my sense of the book.

tim said...

hmm, i don't think "getting away with no title on the cover" should be a goal for cover designers unless there's a brilliant and bulletproof rationale, but these are pretty cool nonetheless.

jesus warrior said...

Wow look at the work inside to find out what it is about. The old saying one can not judge a book by its cover has come to life.

mog said...

I love them both. I will buy each of them.

Anonymous said...

The Microserfs cover is very similar to cover posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007!

look said...

情趣用品, 情趣用品, A片, 免費A片, 情色文學, 免費A片, A片, 免費視訊聊天, 威而柔, 情惑用品性易購, 色情遊戲, 情惑用品性易購, 辣妹視訊, A片, 徵信社, 情趣用品, 情趣, 情趣用品, 台北情趣用品, 情人節禮物, 情趣用品, 情趣用品, 情趣, 情境坊歡愉用品, 情人視訊網, 成人用品, 情趣用品, 按摩棒, 情人節禮物, 花美姬情趣用品, 情趣用品, 情趣用品, SEO服, 情趣用品, 性感睡衣, 免費視訊聊天, 視訊交友網, 美姬圖影, 情境坊歡愉用品, 花美姬情趣用品, 成人圖片, 臺灣情色網, 嘟嘟情人色網, 色情網站, 情境坊歡愉用品, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信, 外遇, 徵信, 徵信, 抓姦, 徵信, 外遇, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社,,, 整型, 視訊聊天, 視訊交友, AV女優, 色情, A片, A片, 情趣用品, 情色, A片, 色情影片, 情趣用品, A片, AV女優, 視訊聊天室, 聊天, 情趣用品, 情惑用品性易購, 情侶歡愉用品, A片, 情趣, 情惑用品性易購, 辣妹視訊, 自慰套, 情侶歡愉用品, 寄情築園小遊戲, aio交友愛情館, 美女視訊, 色情A片, 情趣用品, 徵信社, 情趣用品, A片, 美女視訊, 色情A片, AV女優, A片, 辣妹視訊, 自慰套, 情侶歡愉用品,